Monday 9 March 2009

Another chestnut tree and an old story

A chestnut tree in Provence forest
A chestnut tree in Provence forest


In the film era, i used many cameras from different brands but for 35 mm minolta was my real fav. I loved how they were innovatives and how beautiful were their viewfinders ...
Switching to digital i had to leave Minolta and switched to Nikon but i couldn't resist to buy a dimage 7i in 2002 and a dimage A1 in 2003. They were not real working tools but mostly the cameras you always have with you. I have to say that i had a great fun with them. I sold the 7i when i bought the A1 and the A1 died (sony sensor problem) two years ago.

It's not impossible that the photo posted above is the biggest portrait ever done with a dimage A1. It's a stitched mosaic of 12 images and weights more than 22 million pixels. I own a print measuring a little more than 1 meter large and i love it. Nobody could tell it was done with a 5 mpx camera.
I've spent hours and hours looking at the original file and at the print, i've never seen any stiching problem.

I don't really know why i did that. This tree is in the forest around my home, i love him and have many shots of him. One day i had this idea that's all :)

7 comments :

Michelle B. Hendry said...

I think my last comment was lost... This is so amazing! He looks like he's laughing!

Mark Alan Meader said...

Cool Patrick...very strange & interesting formation! Reminds me of the tree in "Legend of Sleepy Hollow", but friendlier:)

Lynda Lehmann said...

I LOVE the character of old gnarled and twisted trunks. Great photo! I would like to climb around on there.

If you shoot RAW, doesn't it take a long time to convert all to JPGS?

What I've been doing lately is saving everything as a TIFF for best print quality, then downsizing to hi-res and then low-res JPGs. I was wondering if I should start using RAW. Any ideas about that?

Lynda Lehmann said...

PS - You did a fantastic job stitching it together!

Unknown said...

Thank's all for your input.

Lynda, i will make a short answer here. Yes shooting raw definitely worth the time you'll spend processing the files. I don't have done any jpeg shot for many years and processing raw files is a normal step of my workflow.

Lynda Lehmann said...

I'm going to try it, Patrick!

Doomyflo said...

on dirait une créature hurlant de peur! beau cliché!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...