Wednesday 13 January 2010

Still exploring the natural HDR landscapes capabilities of Picturenaut

Winter afternoon in La Plaine des Maures
Winter afternoon in La Plaine des Maures


As told in some previous posts, i've recently discovered a new HDR tool : Picturenaut. It looks to be a very good tool to produce some natural looking HDR landscapes.

This one was done from 5 exposures taken one year ago and reprocessed this morning with Picturenaut. The result was realy easy to obtain and it very difficult to see any differences with one image i took from the scene with my GND filters.
Highlights are perfect, shadows are clean and detailed, the sky is artifacts free and i can't find any ghosting.

Does it mean that i will sell my GND filters ?
Certainly not. In some cases GND will work better, in some other cases they can't be used and last point, mounting a filter holder on some recent Nikon wide angle zooms is a little tricky. That's still the photographer choice to use the best technic for each image...

2 comments :

Balaphoto said...

Nice shots!! good job!!

Frank
http://balapertotarreu.blogspot.com

Mark Alan Meader said...

I'm not familiar with that software.. must be new? I'll have to check it out. Yes, very natural looking and I remember this scene:)
I've been very impressed with the new graduated filter tool in Photoshop CS4, built right in to the RAW processor so you can set it once and apply at any size later.. I'm finding that to be quite useful. I only carry a polarizer and straight ND now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...