Friday 18 February 2011

Weekly commented photo #7 : An autumn game with multi exposures

Autumn leaves
Autumn leaves


It was in october. At the end of the afternoon i was fed up with my office job, took my camera and went out to explore the surrounding meadows and forests.
I found no great combination of place and light for a nice landscape image. Perharps because i was tired, in the forest i just saw a big bunch of branches and trunks.

I started to play with my camera and autumn leaves without any real idea, without any real motivation ...
Suddenly i had the idea to try this old game of multiple exposures i loved to play when i was shooting on film.
I decided to test it with my DSLR and to make an in-camera composite of three shots of the same leaves with my 70 mm lens wide opened and changing focus. I wanted to see if sharp and soft parts of the images could blend in something interesting.

So, what is the answer or more exactly, what is my answer ?
In fact i don't really know :)
Some people find this image really beautiful but personally i don't like it a lot.
Of course it's not a bad one but i feel something is missing here. Too sharp, not enough, not magic enough ? I don't know but if you have an idea, i'm interested :)

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Patrick, cette image est superbe! La couleur est éclatante et le mouvement, laissé par la triple exposition,imprègne la scène de douceur. À mon avis, c'est très réussi!

Anne

Mark Alan Meader said...

I have played with this effect, though I must admit to using Photoshop rather than doing it "in camera".. kind of sharp/soft focus at the same time, like a gel filter. I do like this one very much, as I do your other "abstracts".
I've probably said it before, but I can envision your works in this mode with a very contemporary presentation.. like a large canvas print or framed very large with no mat. I wonder what kind of presentation is popular there?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...