Thursday 18 October 2007

I can't tell why but i love this photo

rural landscape in the french alpsRural landscape in the Oule valley
Paysage rural dans la vallée de l'Oule

Last week, i went in the south of the french Alps to make some autumn mountains landscapes.
On saturday, after two shooting days in other places i moved to the Oule valley. In the second part of the morning, i sarted to hike the hills to find a nice point of view for afternoon photography. After a few hours i thought i had the good place. In the middle of a field on a big hill i had a very nice view on the other side of the valley with great mountains covered whith autumn forest. Guessing the light would be nice on these mountains at the end of afternoon i left the place and returned to the van for a little lunch.
At 5pm, i came back on my hill and after a litlle wait the light became very nice on the mountains and i started making photos.
A little time after one cloud came just over the valley. The cloud itself was not a problem but its shadow was very disturbing on the forests ...
I decided to wait that the cloud leaves this place and looked all around to see if it was the only one. Looking behind me, i saw on the top of the hill this fence and yellow grass shining in the sun. I left my place, climbed the hill with my tripod and camera and made two or three photos of the fence and field. My prefered is this one with the fence and rocky mountain in the opposite corners.
To make it, i installed my tripod just near the first fence stick and used a wide angle lens.
Two things were a little tricky to manage :
  • The focusing point because i needed a great depth of field and wanted the wood stick to be perfectly sharp. It was so near my lens that if i had focused on it the depth of field would have been to short for the rest of the scene. If had focused too far of it, it wouldn't have been very sharp ... In such a situation, you can't rely on a DSLR viewfinder to see if the foreground is really as sharp as you want. The only solution is trying to use the hyperfocal and guess it will do the job ...
  • The good moment : The day was a little windy making the grass moving. Because of the depth of field i had to shut down the lens and so the shutter speed was very slow. I had to wait an instant with absolutely no wind, focusing done, finger on the shutter release.
Three days after, back at the office i started to process my raw files and "falled in love" with this picture. I found everything perfect : nice colors, shining grass, stick sharpness and no disturbing blur due to the wind.
That's not the kind of landscapes i usualy do, that's not the photo i had plan to make in this valley but i love it !

7 comments :

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

WOW, you're photo's are amazingly beautiful!
You must be a very patient person to sit and wait for the right moment! I admire that!

Anonymous said...

Yep, I can see why you love that one. It's gorgeous. One gets involved in it!

Anonymous said...

Your photos are captivating! I love the crisp colours and the feeling of just wanting to walk into the images.

GryWinther

PA said...

It is beautiful - and reminds me of some Gertrude Degenhardt's paintings incorporating the irish landscape - only the sky is never that blue in Ireland :)

X by Leina Neima said...

Gorgeous photo, very sensitive and ravishing..and I always like stories behind the creation...

Apol said...

Hi, Patrick! Yes, please put up my blog link if you wish, however, please use this address, and not the one that leads to my Provenciana blog:

www.lapommeblogs.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Apol said...

Oh, and I forgot to say that this is actually my no. 1 favorite photo in your shop. I like it's slightly offbeat, don't-know-quite-know-what-
to-make-of-it quality.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...