Friday 9 November 2007

An overview of my photographer day job


As told in my profile, the most important part of my photographer day job is about corporate shooting for luxuous industries around Saint-Tropez.

What doest it mean ?

I work on hire for enterprises in the real resort market : villas, swimming pools makers, gardens makers, etc ...
For me it's an other way to make landscape photography but with other constraints. When i make natural landscapes "for me", i go where i decide to go and when i guess the light will be the best. When working on hire, it could be different. The clients have to work to prepare the villa or garden before the shooting session. I've a pre-defined appointment and when i come if the light is not the best, i have to make the job and produce good images anyway.

Another part of my job is to make paintings photographs for some painters. They use my images for their archives, to make their books, to send to galleries, to update their websites or to sell prints. I always love to see these artworks and making good photos is always a pleasant challenge.

For me and after many years, this job is still and always exciting but don't think i spend the most important part of my time shooting with my cameras. I also have to process, sort and backup all my raw files. Twenty years ago i was graduated as a software engineer and worked many years in this job. I think it really helps me in my photography work. Switching from film to digital was easy and color management is before all a computer thing ...

And as in any other job i have to make "public relations", to make invoices, to run after the money, to count the money and to pay taxes :)

6 comments :

Heli said...

Your jobs sounds interesting and fun!

I so wish you could live here so you could take pictures for me too!( and of course if I had money to pay for you ;)

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

Ha! I bet you don't like the last part you wrote about! Don't all artists hate that really?

X by Leina Neima said...

This is really good that you enjoy different parts and aspects of being photographer. Even taking photos of all those villas, you seem to find your artistic challenge...

and yeeh, like artmind says, who likes the last part???

Morrgan said...

Sounds like your day job involves many nice challenges. :) Though yeah, have to agree with the others about the last part!

StaroftheEast said...

That swimmingpool and view looks really inviting, Patrick!
It is nice that you found a way to make some money with the job you love so much :)

Felicia said...

Sounds like that job is an adventure to test all your skills. Love your photos. I'm visiting from the Etsy forums :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...