Saturday 21 February 2009

Clouds over Toulon - HDR seascape or HDR skyscape

Clous over Toulon
Some clouds over Toulon - Provence


That's always the same story : Today was supposed to be a sunny day and i expected a beautiful pink daw on the buildings you can devine on the right of this image. So i jumped out of my bed at 5 am, prepared a big little coffee and drove to Toulon where i arrived at dawn. Light was really not as expected :) I decided to wait some hours walking on the beaches and at around 9 am (i guess) the sun said a little hello threw the clouds in my back. As this kind of sky can always be interesting for HDR works i rapidly shot 3 exposures and after that one more with a soft GND filter.

The one you can see above is the result of my HDR work and i have to say that it was a real pleasure to process. I'll show you the flitred one in the following days.

6 comments :

Unknown said...

Your work inspires me to paint landscapes -- my interpretations could never be as marvelous as your photos!

Brooke said...

beautiful! HDR is something i'm wanting to explore and have been researching. what is the best program to use do you think? wonderful landscapes... you have a very unique eye :) thanks for sharing!

Mark Alan Meader said...

Patrick: *Great* use of the boat launch (or whatever it is) element for the foreground, making it into a graphic design.. even the colors are perfect with the "rusty" rim down low, the splash of red on the wall and the bright teal in the water. I much prefer this sky to a pure blue, even though as you said, a little sliver of highlight on the buildings would have been perfect. Still, really excellent.. love it.
I'll be interested to see the non-HDR version just for comparison.

Unknown said...

Krys, thank you for the compliment. Photographs and paintings are 2 different things. I enjoy every day beeing a photographer but i think i'd love to be able to paint and draw.

Brooke, i make my HDR work with Photomatix and i'm happy with it.
There is a free one named qtpfsgui.

Big thank you Mark, i also love this photo because of the sky, of the lines and of the colors :)

C. JoyBell C. said...

This sky is still very beautiful, Patrick! In fact, I think I like dark, stormy skies with big dark clouds! :)

Even if the sky wasn't as you expected, the photo is still very beautiful! :)

Michelle B. Hendry said...

Wow - what a composition! This one really draws you in. I don't know much about HDR, but I am seeing more and more of it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...