Wednesday 10 June 2009

Little Africa sold for a book project

Little Africa in Provence
Little Africa in Provence


I report this sale here because i've told many times in my comments that i rarely work with the tourism industry.

That's a strange thing : France is one of the most visited country in the world. Provence is probably the second destination for tourists visiting France and tourism is certainly the first source of income in the region where i live.
But when it comes to buy a photo, tourism offices are always short of money so they are not the best clients for photographers.
At least i don't have to shoot crowdy sand beaches under the sun :)

That said, the image above was not sold to a tourism office but to an editor making a tourism book about extraordinary landscapes in France.
The price for this kind of usage is always really low but that's an old image and the editor also works with one of the biggest travel magazine.

8 comments :

gh said...

Fantastic, and congratulations. Sometimes its not about the money but the exposure and getting your work out there for all to see which is why most of us shoot in the first place.
This is certainly something to be proud of and this publisher is very lucky to have found your works to be put together for a book project.
Awesome shot here.

C. JoyBell C. said...

It does look like a little Africa!

Mark Alan Meader said...

Patrick:
Gary's right.. it's not just about the money, anyway. Besides, who knows who might see your work in that book and then it leads to something even better? That's normally the way things happen isn't it... a series of steps or events between where you are and where you want to be.
Congrats.

Unknown said...

Gary and Mark,

I agree that we don't make photos only for money but if a photographer wants to live he needs to earn money from his images.

Today, many magazines (at least here) have the following approach : "Give us your photos for free, we'll give you a great exposure".
I think that if a photographer goes this way he will just be known as somebody who gives his images for free and it will become more and more difficult for him to sell ...

Add to this that i live with my wife and daughter and my work is our only source of income. So the price of my images is a really important thing for us.

Unknown said...

Yes Charity, it really looks like Africa and here the name of this place is La Petite Afrique.

Mark Alan Meader said...

Of course I wouldn't suggest that you devalue your work.. I've been self employed for 20+ years so believe me, I know. I've found that an occasional "strategic compromise" can lead to good things down the road, but of course it's personal judgement in each situation as to weather it will be worth it. I've developed many loyal clients that way, I've also been taken advantage of. Anyway, hope it pays off for you:)

Unknown said...

Don't worry Mark,

Your comment wasn't misintrepreted and i don't hesitate to give some rebates to my most loyal clients when i work on hire.
For image licencing i just think it doesn't work in the same way and when you see what magazines offer now for a full page image you can think that every sale is a strategic compromise :)

I think i'll develop that a little more in my next post.

Easy French said...

Beautiful picture :)
Cathy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...