Friday 17 June 2011

Weekly commented photo #24 - Cheran canyon through Massif des Bauges forest

Cheran canyon through Massif des Bauges forest
Cheran canyon through Massif des Bauges forest


For my second morning at the Chéran river i wanted this overview of the canyon from the Abîme bridge but arrived on the place it was not really easy to realize :

The bridge is really narrow and the sidewalks too tights for the 3 legs of my tripod. I had to fold completely one of this legs and just put it on a diagonal metallic beam. It was not the most stable setup i ever had but it worked.

The bridge is hanged by many big red wires and i couldn't use a lens wider than 28 mm without including one of them in the frame. I could take some photos of the river but not this general view i wanted.
I was about to renounce to this image and go directly to the river when i had an idea :

If you're a regular reader of this blog, you may know that i'm a long time user of PTGui.
Ten years ago i was using it very often to stitch images for classic panoramic landscapes but also to get more resolution that the old digital cameras could give.
Today any DSLR give enough pixels for most of my needs and i still make stitched images but only from time to time.

So before packing all my gear to go to the river, i took 4 horizontal photos with my 28 mm lens, panning the camera vertically between each.
Once back at the office, stitching these 4 images with PTGui was easy and it gave me a 20 megapixels file.

No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...